Ridgely's Delight is located on what was once a Susquehannock Indian path. During the Federal period (1790-1828), the main highway from Washington to Philadelphia, now known as Washington Boulevard, passed through the neighborhood.
Ridgely's Delight was named after the plantation of
Colonel Charles Ridgely, who occupied the open land southwest of the city's
original boundaries. Ridgely acquired the estate as dowry in 1667 through
his marriage to Rachael Howard. In 1732, this land, originally known as
Howard's Timberneck, was combined with another property known as Brotherly
Love, resurveyed and named Ridgely's Delight. In 1735, Ridgely began leasing
parcels of land in Ridgely's Delight.
In the 1970s, gradual urban decay resulted in a resurgence of lower income residents in the area until the City's $1 homesteading program, launched in 1973, helped rebuild Ridgely's Delight to its former splendor without displacing its original residents.
Babe Ruth, our most famous son
The Babe Ruth Birthplace and Official Orioles Museum was the home of Babe's maternal grandfather, Pius Schamberger, a German immigrant who made his living as an upholsterer. Babe's mother and father, Kate and George Sr., lived above the saloon they owned and operated on Camden Street, now short-center field of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Mrs. Ruth made the short journey to her father's home to give birth to Babe.
The complex was saved from demolition in 1969 by a group of concerned citizens and opened to the public in 1974 as the only birthplace of an American athlete to be designated a national historic landmark.
History Comes Alive